Friday, August 19, 2011

Training – SF Marathon Blurb – Injury?

I have not posted in a while.  Unfortunately life happens and I have been busy with other things.  In regards to training things have been going smoothly.  Last week was actually really solid.  Last week I did 54 miles of which 50 were running miles.  I had some trouble with my bike….three flats in 20 minutes meant a short day in the saddle. 

I know I ran the SF marathon at the end of July and I have not posted a race report.  The truth is that I ran it as a training run.  I went out sort of fast to pace a friend who wanted to break four hours.  After he left at around mile 5 ish I took it Cadillac.  I can say that I will probably not do that marathon again.  The down hills were too steep for my quads and I really disliked running through Golden Gate Park.  I know that a lot of people are down for it and that’s great.  I run trail a lot so I get to see trees and waterfalls and forests often enough that it just did not get me.  I wanted to see the city and see things that are unique to SF.  I would probably go back and do the first half marathon because I really liked running over the golden gate and I would like to go all out in a half, and I think that would be a good one to do it in.  Besides that, 10 min PR from my LA 26.2 time, and had some left in the tank.  Felt pretty good about it.  I am by no means be-littling the distance.  26.2 miles is still a long way to run for anyone on any given day.  But I am merely saying that I did not go “all out” for a time because I needed to still have functioning legs for a 6 hour drive back and a 50 at the end of august, i.e. next week’s Bulldog 50k. 

My Quad is meh.  I am not sure why but it flares up a little.  I even went so far as to put icy hot on it.  Now if you have never put icy hot on your quads you may not be able to relate…but having the icy and hot feeling so close to your privates is a risk, what can I say livin on the edge.

No comments: