Friday, July 20, 2012

Birthday Reflections

Every year when my birthday comes around I reflect on where my mind is now in relation to the goals I set for myself years ago. Most years I would be depressed for a week because my life is not where I thought it should be. I think we all have a list of “things to do before age “1XX”…bungie jumping, a marathon, reading the Bible, whatever it may be.

This year I decided to take stock of my original plans. I quickly saw they did not account for personal and environmental growth. They assumed that everything would remain the same and I would want and need more of the same perpetually. As I have grown I understand more and more the age old saying “the only thing permanent is change” (I think its Aristotle, but not sure).

I think that we all give up control of a lot of things we should have a handle on. Example, “I don’t have time” (we know it’s a lie, come on), “I could never “blank” (yes you could, why stop yourself before the start?), “I’ll do it tomorrow” (tomorrow is always a day away, never today).

I decided to start a birthday tradition. I want to run/bike/hike/walk my age in miles as long as I can. It will become my tradition. I don’t want to worry or obsess over how my life is not where I thought it would be, because I understand that it never will be. There is always “something.” So instead of worrying I am going keep working hard to achieve my goals and thank God for the ability to move by celebrating life and hopefully inspiring others to do the same.

No comments: