Thursday, February 7, 2013

Training and Recovery

     2013 has started off decently for me with regards to training.  My consistency is up even though my mileage is not where I would like it to be.  I follow a few rules and adjust my training plan accordingly.

1. 3 weeks build, 1 week recover
2. If I did not get @ least 7 hours the night before I can only go zone 2
3. Train for the course

     I generally will not run more than 3 days in a row.  I think it is detrimental and promotes mileage as opposed to progress.  Recovery is probably the part of training that many of us get wrong.  You really do have to think of your body as a machine in order to do it right.  Tune ups, eating right, sleeping well and reducing your stressors all play a huge part in recovery.
     The first race on my schedule is the American River 50.  It is a road marathon followed by a trail marathon.  For me the key is going to be to hold back on the road and for that I have been really increasing my milage there.  I have been training for the last 3 miles (ridiculous hill) of AR50 by attacking the steepest sections of Griffith I can find and focusing on feeling good at the top rather than destroying my legs on the way up.
     Focusing on the recovery aspect of my training has also yielded some unexpected results.  My average pace has dwindled and I am running comfortably in the mid 8 minute range which before would have been a push.  A lot of it has to do with the fact that I know I need to get in the miles whenever I get a chance and it serves as more motivation to get outside and run.  The mantra "American River 50 won't train for itself" also serves as a quick roundhouse kick to the head when I feel like giving myself a break. 
      

No comments: