Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Focus and Awareness

It has been a while since I posted something because my running has been suffering.  My mileage is down and certainly not at the level I expected it to be.  In a way its a blessing because I have healed up some nagging overuse injuries but at the same time its annoying because I miss it.

After reflecting, I realized I may not be the only one struggling to get back to fitness so I am going to make an effort to keep a log of the trip back.  On the list of races this year is Sean O'Brien 26.2 (feb), American River 50 (april), Bishop High Sierra 100k (May) and the big one Angeles Crest 100 (aug).

So here goes the update....last week my mid back spasmed about 1.5 miles into a run.  The feeling sent shock waves through my body and my blood boiled.  Anger took me because I knew this pain intimately and thought it gone forever  (July 2011 - Post).  My back spasms coincide with periods of high stress.

Over the last few months I have focused on school so much to the detriment of other areas of my life.  Its always hard to find a balance..too much in either direction and its a problem.  But, law school is #1 and Ulrta Running is #2; thus I do not regret the extra time spent on school.  The part I failed was I stopped my daily meditation exercises.  I am a huge fan of the UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center because it helped orient my meditation and made it doable and not foreign.

Gotta get back to it.

No comments: