Monday, October 20, 2014

Achilles Tendonitis and the forced slow down

There is a time in every runner's career when you have to decide whether running now is more important or running later.  For most of us the answer is simple because we want what we want when we want it so now, but when it comes to injury its not that easy.

Since moving to Los Angeles for law school I have increased my elevation gains/loss, but decreased overall mileage.  At first I could excuse the changes making myself believe that the quality was worth the decrease in quantity.  As the months rolled by I find it harder to get out of bed in the morning.

Every morning I awoke with the dread of knowing my Achilles tendon, ankle and calf were going to hurt when my toes touched the ground.  After a few months I got used to "warming up" just to get my day started.  The pain never went away completely no matter how many home remedies and runners tricks I tried.  So I went to the classic and most time tested solution...stop.

It has not been pleasant to stop running at all and even worse to force myself off the trails.  I have stuck to slow flat roads for about a month and taken more rest and cross training days.  I sometimes feel lethargic and angry...angry at the awesome pairs of shoes sitting in the closet taunting me to take em out for a spin.  But, my body is feeling stronger and I am now enjoying cross training more which is something that never would have happened.

I do not know how long the recovery and build up will take, but I am confident that I needed the break and my body did too.

No comments: