Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns.. thoughts not a review

You know it was an interesting kind of day today. I just finished another book. I think I am on a crazy streak. Of the books I have read my favorite thus far is "A Thousand Splendid Suns." It is a great story, tragic but hopeful in many ways. I don't think that the story itself is something completely other; oppression of the opposite sex, i.e women. However the context and setting of the book make the story totally plausible and hence very appealing. I am not sure I have been so happy as when I finished. Its rather selfish but I was not happy for the characters, as each was dealt with in their own way. I was happy and thankful for being born into a society that is very accepting of diversity and difference. I know that many people around the world are not as blessed as I am and every day its a struggle to survive. I pray that they find peace and some joy in that which they are given. Many times I heard the phrase, God does not send you anything that you cannot handle. I find this to be true. Sometimes our greatest moments, our most human moments come at the most inhuman of times.

No comments: