Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Coaching Changes

I am child of the AOL 3.0 generation so naturally I searched online for help with my fitness goals. I started listening to podcasts and among the myriad found the "Geeks in Running Shoes" podcast. The show introduced me to my running coach who subsequently trained me for several marathons and ultra marathons. Unfortunately the coach/athlete relationship came to an end this month. It is sad because I came to rely on the feedback and ease of having a schedule laid out for me. "We had joy we had fun we had seasons in the sun; but the hills that we climbed were just seasons out of time"("Seasons in The Sun, Terry Jacks). I have a lot of things on my plate and had to make some changes. I am not sure if I will ever return to being coached but if I do I know there are wonderful ones out there.

In similar news; I am going to start coaching athletes. I am the first to admit I do not have 1,000 years of experience with professional athletes nor do I remember running in Onitsuka Tiger shoes (the first Asics) although come to think about it I did run in my share of Nike Cortez(s). The idea of becoming a running coach has kicked around my head for a few months. Recently I find myself wanting to run with people. I mentioned it a little bit in the So Cal Ragnar post about the joy I get helping others conquer their goals. It is also very selfish of me but I love the feeling of getting others to want to be healthy. Most importantly; I want all runners to run happy.

So I decided to work on being ITCA certified and will probably pick a few more certifications this year. I enjoy learning about running and consume more fitness knowledge per week than most do in a month, there is a diagnosis for me out there I am certain. I am passionate about helping people be better and health is key to being the best person you can be. I am not saying that unhealthy people are not good; I just think that health adds a je ne sais quoi to your life like nothing else can. Focusing on athletes as people rather than just cranking out a schedule and hoping they stick to it is the only way to coach and its the way I have learned and the way I think the majority of athletes can see how much clearer the world gets when you step outside the A/C and get some vitamin D. The journey begins. 

No comments: