Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Coaching - 11 hr 50 Mile Ultra Plans

I am of the firm belief that the individual should be self motivated and passionate about what they want to do. If you want something work hard and get it done. I have written a lot about the need to find that inner voice that drives you to greatness. Recently, I have blogged quotes that have impacted me and many of them are in regards to being self-reliant and the need for being one. However, something I have not written about as much is humility.

It takes commitment and courage to go after what you want whether it is a physical or mental barrier. It is not easy to leave your comfort zone and seek something greater than what you know. It is very easy to sit and be complacent with what life throws at us. Is that a way to live? Should we just settle with the handouts life gives or should we seek out and jump at opportunities? I clearly believe in the later.

In many of these endeavors we need the help of others. Now let me clarify what I mean by help. When I say help I am not asking for handouts, easy street, or a cake walk. I also do not mean help as in piggy-backing. Let me explain. There are a lot of times when people will ask you for “help” but in reality it is simply a request to piggy-back on some knowledge you have so that they may avoid the work and effort to learn. I will not even get started on those who go into a challenge thinking they are going to fail, that’s a tough spot to be in and it is not good (we have all been there but you need to rally out).

Why do I bring this up? I need help. I want to complete an official 50 mile run in less than 11 hours in order to enter the lottery for the Western States 100 in 2012. My schedule does not give me a lot of time and I am the first to admit I do not know everything especially when it comes to training for an ultra. However, I do know two things: 1. Humility is the best way to learn and 2. Iron sharpens iron. I was fortunate to discover www.prsfit.com. I listen to a few podcasts varying from tri athletes to geeks in running shoes that have interviewed Coach Jeff and the information he provides makes sense and is very insightful. PRS is really committed to helping athletes become the best that they can be. I am really glad that Coach Jeff is going to be helping me prepare for the challenge I have set for myself. I have to be humble, because even though I do not understand a lot of the methods he uses, heart rate training, I have to admit he knows his stuff and has a wealth of information that I simply do not possess. Also, iron sharpens iron, if you want to get achieve great things you have to be around those who have and know what it takes to get there. I will obviously be writing more about it in the future.

1 comment:

Planet Expat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.