Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Running Update - Possible Injury

I am pretty sad right now about my running.  A hip injury is really taking me out of it.  I can put weight on it, and when I run making a conscious effort to raise it high there is no problem.  When I slow down or just walk around I feel it.  I have pushed through for a few days and kept active but this morning I crawled out of bed to hit the snooze button…I guess it felt like…you know when you buy whole chicken…imagine tearing off a leg…that muscle tearing feeling…now imagine sticking a pencil, a Ticonderoga #2, in the tear…yup that about sums it up.  What makes me sad is that I have really had some quality runs and my times were getting faster.  I had a 5k PR, I ran 4 miles and averaged under 9 min/mi for the whole time, I ran almost 12 miles in rain and wind, but a hip is going to take me out of it.  But no matter how much you want to go if something is injured or not right you have to just take care of it.  There is no sense in pushing past the pain if you are risking long term injury.  So I am going to take it easy for a week or so.  I emailed the Calico Trail Run (30k) organization about the race the 16th.  We shall see how that goes.  I am going to go to the doctor too.  I really do not want to but I figure it’s going to be the best way to really know for sure.  I figure it will really be a reminder to me to eat smart, so I do not lose the fitness I have gained and simply find alternative to stay healthy and keep moving. School starts next Monday.  Not too excited about 120 mile drive days coming back, but that is the way it has to be.  Downtown LA is not that far, hopefully the weather gets better because I am going to be doing a lot of night training. 

No comments: