Thursday, June 9, 2011

Running Chicago - AVON Walk

The AVON walk against Breast Cancer this weekend faced brutal humid heat and even rain.  First of all, the AVON walk is a wonderful event that raised a lot of funds for breast cancer awareness and research.  Walkers were treated to a marathon on Saturday and a half-marathon on Sunday.  Nope, I did not envy them at all.  The conditions were unlike anything I had ever been in…walking outside felt as if I was wearing a parka in a sauna.  I am amazed at the amount of support the walkers received from everyone including bystanders.  The Chicago population was very supportive of the walkers and I think the organizers did a great job in putting on the event.  There were a lot of blisters, sore legs, and water was flowing…but everyone was having a great time cruising around town brining attention to the fight against cancer.  What was my part in this? I was a human shopping cart, cheerer extraordinaire and general well wisher.  Admittedly, I did not do the best job but for a first time crew person but I gave it my best shot.  Hopefully next time I am able to help out some more.  On with the jogging talk.

I was able to get some running in because I was following the AVON route and I was able to meet up with Ray from the Geeks in Running Shoes Podcast on Sunday.  Chicago is a very cool place to run.  I expected to dislike running in the city because I am more of a trail nerd, but the impressive architecture and generally nice people won me over.  I snapped a lot of pictures of buildings and even got a chance to run along Lake Michigan (which is huge).  I ran with Ray for 1.5 hours roughly and I am still incredulous that it snows there because of the gnarly heat wave.  I ran with my new pack the Nathan #28.  It’s a pack designed to carry stuff and to be used with handhelds instead of a hydration bladder.  This design worked well in Chicago because I could re-fill at water fountains along the lake and it saved on weight.  Talked with Ray for a long time about running and the running community definitely would like to go back to Chicago sometime, maybe a marathon or the Mojo Loco Chicago but who knows…for now its San Francisco prep, which reminds me..i should work out the details about staying up there sooner rather than later.

 

No comments: