Monday, March 22, 2010

Played golf this weekend.  I shot a 95 at the local course.  I am pretty excited about that score because the fairways get very narrow on this course so the fact I kept it playable was a good thing.  My 60 degree wedge and putter was saving my first 5 to 9 holes.  The first hole I hit driver, hybrid and wedge that should have been on, but ended up on the fringe.  I was 10 feet away from the pin, but the fringe was shaggy and could not be chipped easily.  So I said, screw it, flop shot time. I took a full swing and it tricked a few feet past the hole, it was awesome.  I had a few shots like that and some puts that lagged beautifully.  I pretty much aligned myself based on a twigg or blade of grass a few inches ahead of the ball for all my shots and made sure to stay down through the swing.  Who knew I could actually hit some pars and have decent looks at birdies.
The Wall Street Journal Law Blog commented about the “Democracy restoration Act.”  Apparently some states deny former felons the right to vote, even after they get out of jail and are active members of society. The government act would allow them to vote, but there are specific state guidelines stating otherwise.  It seems irrational to me to take away a constitutional right, because you break the law.  More than anything it seems to shoot the prison system in the heart.  Prison is supposed to be a blend of rehabilitation for criminals in order for them to join society and not just retribution for crimes committed.  It seems that not allowing “rehabilitated” persons to vote means the prison system of the state either did not do its job, or did it so poorly that ex-convicts become second rate citizens.  What happened to America?
Law school is going well.  We finished the 2nd round of moot court this past weekend.  I think I enjoyed it a lot more because I was not shocked at the procedure and the case was fresh in my mind.  Because we all had to argue off brief, i.e. switch sides, it was tough for me to explain the facts on the other side because I had been so used to looking at the facts only one way.  It was a really good exercise regardless and the judges were great, good advice from them about public speaking in a legal setting. 

No comments: