Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Orison Swett Marden Quote

"The golden opportunity you are seeking is in yourself. It is not in your environment; it is not in luck or chance, or the help of others; it is in yourself alone."

-Orison Swett Marden

I read this quote and it struck me to the core.  I believe in its simple words it reflects many truths about the human condition.  As a group we place value on many things but above all there are the two extremes for interpreting reality.  XYZ is lucky and that’s why “fill in the blank”, or XYZ is suffering and going through this whole thing for others or helped by others.  Extreme altruism or extreme selfishness dismissed as either giving or being given.  But what about taking?  Taking ownership for what we want and accepting the consequences of those decisions.  I think that those moments of clarity are few and far between for many of us.  Everything that exists is here for a reason; acceptance of conditions and drive to make decisions is what distinguishes those who go for it and those who linger.

For me, now, this golden opportunity has been accepting myself as I am and deciding to make a positive change. I am pretty stubborn and it has taken me a long time to really figure it out. I have not finished learning; but an undeniable fact is that physical health and mental health are linked. I feel more energized and in a better spirit when I am active, whatever that maybe, ago, it was not very much, ahora, it has been kicked up a notch. I pray I can make more such links in the future and acknowledge that although luck and the help of others is essential, the primal forces start from within each individual.

No comments: