Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Saturday Trail Run - Eerie Sense of Change

Until my last run I never had hit “the wall.”  I had been tired and beat down but never to that degree.  It was a good learning experience and it definitely was an education on hydration and preparedness.  From now on I will error on the side of packing more than needed than less.  Last Saturday I went to Peter’s Canyon, a local popular trail.  It was good, but the amount of people threw me off a little.  I am used to running trails mostly by myself and not having to talk much.  However, this was a buddy’s first trail experience so this was a good place to give it a go.  The miles ticked off pretty fast.  The only thing I did not like was the mountain bike riders.  I consider myself a mountain bike rider but these guys were going way to fast.  There were packs of 3- 5 riders flying down trails were toddlers and families were strolling around.  No offense to the riders, but man up and go to more remote trails and have your expensive bikes earn their keep.  There is no point in rolling around a groomed well taken care of trail with a $5k bike just to have to slam the breaks to avoid mowing down kids, just my 2 cents.

I have an eerie sense that things are going to change soon, no idea what I just have an ominous type feeling.  When you go to a movie and you know something is going to happen just before it does…sort of that way.  I am not sure if it is going to be a good thing or a bad one, but something.  I am tired nowadays, not mentally, but physically I have been kicking my own ass.  I am not sleeping as much as I should and for the next few weeks enough sleep is going to be a priority.  The other things that’s been going on physically is that my left foot swells up on any run longer than 5 miles.  I first thought that it was the shoes, but it has happened in three different pairs of shoes.  I am going to reduce the amount of salt in my diet and see how that goes. 

No comments: