Monday, May 17, 2010

This Saturday I went with a few friends to a baseball game. I am one of those people who takes very few opportunities to really just hang out with the guys; whether it be because of school or work plans just do not seem to work out. We caught Padres home game against the LA Dodgers. It seemed like more of a home game for LA, or it just may be that LA fans are louder. I was merely a spectator on this one because I am true to my California Angels (I know the name changed but whatever I can say what I want). I enjoyed the difference in personalities. Standard, we are all talking trash on each other and naturally I remained as neutral as I could with regards to my team. For the record, no I am not bleeding blue anytime soon. Only Dodgers apparel I would purchase is either a # 34 or a Lasorda Jersey because I have a lot of respect for them as players and contributors to the game. It had been a while since I just had a chance to be one of the guys which is nice. Sometimes I forget that letting my guard down every once in a while is a good thing. Just chatting it up and giving each other a hard time and being genuinely interested in everyone just having a good time. I very much enjoyed it, I would have liked it more if it was a freeway series or if San Diego had some fans, but it seemed a lot of people just showed up because their team is in the lead; after the all star break we'll see. The day sort of reminded me in an odd way of how things just work out sometimes. Plans for me in general seem to go awry and not work out. There is always a missing link or a missing element in the process somewhere so nothing ever really happens. I think that it is a good thing that some plans it did not, for my life would be very different. Instead of sitting here contemplating how to become better person, I would be contemplating things that would require more immediate attention. All in all the day worked out and I am really glad those guys were all able to go out and have a good time. If any Padres fans were offended by any obscenities or jests that we may have extolled upon you, I am sorry that your team lost, better luck next time. Don't take that as a comment that I am a Doyers fan..because I am not. I am just saying. 

I have steepened the swing. That's all I can really say about it. I was flat on the swing and was not getting the power I wanted, nor was it consistent. The steepness has caused better contact, feels odd but it will be that way for sometime. I had a long range session and another today. It was good to get the feeling of crisp contact. I do however think that my timing is still off. Some shots go 15 yards further than others. Now, obviously that happens to everyone, but I am trying to get this sorted out in a week. We shall see how it goes. I think I will be able to so long as my putter does not forsake me. It better not or I am walking the plank and diving head first into a bunker.
I finished re-reading a book that I had not read for years. The Count of Monte Cristo. When I read that book I feel empowered, as if there is a greater purpose and sometimes no matter how much we rant and rave at our misfortunes; good deeds are rewarded and bad ones are punished. I know that we all know that Dantes fell in love with Haydee and it worked out for him in the end. In a way she helped him regain his humanity and leave his hatred and anger aside. His character has been reviewed enough. I do feel sad for Mercedes. I feel that she got the worst of it. She lost all credibility with Parisian society and fell to despair because she settled. She settled knowing that she would never love that guy the same way she loved Dantes. It must be a sad life to settle for something knowing that you never really wanted it to begin with, or that it is merely a replacement for something you lost. I am not saying that she should have never found true love again, that would be crazy talk, she was told Dantes was gone forever. But at least be patient and go at it full throttle when you know; running to the arms of someone else knowing you had not fully recovered was probably the nail that sealed her fate. Forever bound against morality, ethics and keeping happiness hostage never to be set free simply because of a moment of weakness. Halfheartedness only fetched a sea of regret and disappointment for her. Call me crazy but I would have preferred a million times the suffering that Dantes endured as opposed to living in regret and self loathing, that would be the death of me. There is a Mexican song, many have heard it and I will not say the artist...but the line translates as follows... “just because the cage is golden, does not mean it stops being a cage.”
Law school took a lot out of me this week. I barely starting to getting back into a sleeping pattern. I read an article in the WSJ Law Blog about a study at Cornell. The study showed physically unattractive criminal defendants are 22% more likely to get convicted and get longer sentences than physically attractive criminal defendants are. Insane, so apparently if you are going to commit a crime you should try and spruce yourself up for the jury. It make me feel better about my imperfections knowing that although justice has a blindfold she takes a peek every once in a while.

No comments: