Monday, October 4, 2010

Calf Injury / Road Runners - SCOTUS / School - US Gov’t disappoints…again

I do not like admitting to injury, less when it is something that I should be smart enough not to get.  But clearly I am not.  My calf is beating me up.  I ramped up the mileage too quickly and I am paying for it.  In part it is good because mentally I know that I can crank out more miles than I previously thought I could, and I have done a lot of research on injury recover and prevention.  I just purchased the “marathon stick” from Running Warehouse so a review of that will follow.  I usually wait to review a product before reviews because I like using it after the “new thing” excitement has whined off.  I did a 5 mile run with the RoadRunners in Venice Beach.  Run was fine, I will probably change pace groups to run more of the same pace I am trying to keep, but I am not sure.  It will be a game time decision.  On the run, there was an eclectic cast of characters, even at 8 am!  A bike rider chanting Military marches (they were funny, some more crude than others), a homeless man picking fights, a loud boisterous bearded guy only wearing a long tank top (thank God…no one wants to see that), and what seemed to be a J junior military camp of sorts cheering every group to keep on going.  All the characters made the run easy but I miss the trails.  I need to find a few in Los Angeles.  If anyone knows of any good single track running trails let me know.

New SCOTUS term is coming up and retired judges can fill in if the Ct. needs a majority to pass something.  So welcome back to our retired justices.  Did a lot of reading this weekend and I feel I am getting a better grasp of Civil Procedure and Property.  But Constitutional Law is still tough for me.  I think because the policy aspect of it is so pervasive throughout I am having a tough time linking concepts.

Read a BBC story last Friday that was out of a movie.  US government apologized for infecting hundreds of people in Guatemala with gonorrhea and syphilis as part of medical tests more than 60 years ago.  Ridiculous.  They infected the mentally ill and prisoners via prostitutes infected with the virus and made no attempts to treat them, just sort of observed.  I wanted to vomit.  That’s not right, how do we 60 years ago chastise the Nazi regime for their crimes against humanity, but then commit them ourselves.  Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.  And obviously not a peep in US news about it.

No comments: